UNESCO Ethics Teacher’s Training Course (ETTC)
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) conducted an Ethics Teachers’ Training Course (ETTC) at Uganda Martyrs University from 27th November – 1st December 2017. Participants were ethics teachers, lawyers, physicians, nurses, scientists, philosophers, and bioethics students from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and Botswana. The course instructors were: Dr. Abdul Rahman Lamin (UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa), Prof. Obijiofor Aginam (United Nations University, Malaysia), Prof. Leonard de Castro (University of Philippines), Prof. Julius Kipkemboi (Egerton University, Kenya), Dr. Masoud Nassor Massoud (University of Namibia), Dr. Dominic Mundrugo-Ogo Lari (UNATCOM, Uganda), and Dr. John Mary Mooka Kamweri (Uganda Martyrs University). The ETTC was the result of an initiative involving UNESCO and Uganda Martyrs University and was supported by other stakeholders, including the Uganda National Commission for UNESCO.
The Course offered a unique opportunity specifically for countries in Eastern Africa region to enhance their teaching and professional capacities in ethics and bioethics, by focusing on methodology and pedagogy.
The ETTC is designed to advance pedagogical capacity for ethics teaching and improve the quality of ethics education around the world. The Course is conducted in a host country by a team of international and local experts with extensive experience in ethics education and is based on a five-day training module developed by UNESCO in collaboration with global experts in ethics education.
- An increased pool of ethics teachers with practical teaching tools developed by UNESCO as a result of focusing on methodology and pedagogy.
- Initiation of the teaching of UNESCO’s Bioethics Core Curriculum at Uganda Martyrs University.
- Increased familiarity with the Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights.
- Networking among ethics teachers in the region to strengthen ethics and bioethics infrastructure.
- Consensus on the publication of the proceedings and ethics cases.