About the Faculty
The multidisciplinary Faculty of the Built Environment offers programmes and courses in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Design and Building Technology, with an emphasis on environmental sustainable design (ESD). A key goal is to educate responsible professionals who can contribute to the cultural and socio-economic development of Uganda and the global community through participation in design, construction and interpretation of the built environment.
The Faculty recognises that in a continuously changing world, professional experience and research are important contributors to achieve its mission. Academic faculty are therefore accomplished in their fields through research, experience and collaboration, all contributing to teaching and scholarship in the Faculty. Further, to enrich the research and learning environment, the Faculty seeks to recruit staff with teaching and research experience from across the world..
Our multidisciplinary curriculum is designed to foster critical and creative thinking, to enable students and graduates to engage with the environmental, social, and aesthetic challenges of the contemporary milieu. Most courses in the Faculty are taught through a problem-based integrated teaching approach, that integrates design with the techniques and practices of construction, structures, materials and building services, all within a theoretical and historical context, keeping in mind human needs (social, physiological and cultural).
In 2011, the architecture programme in the Faculty, comprising the Bachelor of Environmental Design (Honours) – Part I; and the Master of Architecture (Professional) – Part II, were evaluated by the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA) and were subsequently validated and added to the CAA list of Qualifications in Architecture Recommended for Recognition. The next visit is scheduled for 2016
- To be at the forefront of built-environment education and research;
- To promote and undertake research into various aspects of the built environment;
- To graduate men and women who are artistically creative, technically competent, and have an appreciation of social, environmental and historical issues as these relate to the built environment;
- To promote innovation and excellence in teaching and learning.
- To encourage an understanding of principles related to the advancement and development of our built environments;
The Faculty offers the following courses:
- Bachelor of Environmental Design
- Advanced Diploma in Environmental Design
- Master of Architecture (Professional)