News & Announcements
A very informative one day workshop on the critical importance of Benchmarking among African Universities was held today the 13th July 2016, at Nkozi main campus, in the Auditorium. The workshop was organized by the Directorate of Quality Assurance in collaboration with the nascent African Centre of Excellence in Agroecology and Livelihood Systems (ACALISE). The key speaker was Dr. Florence Mayiga, the Director of Planning and Development at Makerere University. Other speakers included Sr. Lucy Akello (Director, Quality Assurance Directorate), Assoc. Prof. Julius Mwine (Dean Faculty of Agriculture and Principal Investigator at ACALISE), and Dr. Jude Ssebuwufu (Head, University Advancement and Director of ACALISE) who made the concluding remarks.
The workshop was attended by Deans, Administrators, and other members of staff both academic and non academic. It was stressed that as an ongoing and systematic process of comparing yourself with others to learn best practices in order to improve, benchmarking is the way to go in African Higher Education, as African Universities strive to become Centres of Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Community Outreach. Read More
Tribute to Assoc. Prof. Fr Joseph Kisekka
A book that ignites the memory of our departed leader, colleague and friend is now available. Limited copies available at the university main campus Nkozi.
A new dining hall experience
The new academic year 2016-2017 has started off in style with staff and students being taken on a culinary journey with new and improved services from the dinning hall. Congratulations are in order to the University management and all other stakeholders that have worked tirelessly to see this work through.
UMU hosts another Alumni Homecoming
Uganda Martyrs University hosted yet another Alumni Homecoming at its beautiful main campus. The three day event that began on 29th July 2016 and ended on 31st July 2016 was filled with several events and activities. The alumni who included a few popular names like the Democratic Party’s President Hon. Norbert Mao, Gulu Municipality Member of Parliament (MP) Hon. Komakech Lyandro, and former Mawokota South MP Kenneth Kiyingi Bbosa were involved in delivering relief items to the needy pupils of St.Mugaga Primary School-Nkozi , the Alumni Dialogue, Dinner and the Alumni Mass on Sunday 31st July 2016.
Research & Recent Publications
- Christine Ocokoru1, Robert Anguyo DDM Onzima2, Philip Govule3, Simon-Peter Katongole.(November 2, 2015). Prevalence and Drug Susceptibility of Isolates of Urinary Tract Infections Among Febrile Under-fives in Nsambya Hospital, Uganda
- Ezra Sebakiga Bigira, Simon Peter Katongole. (September 2015). Management of Hospital Security in General Hospitals of Southwestern Uganda. International Journal of Public Health Research. Vol. 3, No. 5, 2015, pp. 173-179.
- Simon Peter Katongole*, John Francis Mugisha, Robert Anguyo DDM, Everd Maniple Bikaitwoha, Lillian Nantume Wampande. (2015). Perceptions of Health Workers and Managers on
the Use of Non-Monetary Human Resource Motivation Tools in General Hospitals of Central Uganda.
- Mary Aliona Masika1, Simon Peter Katongole2, *, Philip Govule2. Improving Partograph Documentation and Use by Health Workers of Bwera Hospital: A Process Improvement Research. (2015).
- MUWANGA-ZAKE, J. W. F. (June, 2015). Whose Education is it? Values of Developing Communities Excluded from Curricula and Quality Assurance in Higher Education. World Academy of Science. Engineering and Technology Conference, London. UK..
- OLWENY, M.R.O. (2015) Investigating the processes of socialisation in architectural education: Through experiences in East Africa, PhD Thesis, Cardiff University, Cardiff.
- OLWENY, M.R.O. (2013) “Environmental sustainable design and energy efficiency in architecture education in East Africa”, Paper presented at the Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA) Conference, Dhaka, Bangladesh, February 22-23.
- NDIBWAMI, A. (2013) People’s perceptions of new architecture : A dialogue between the architect, the architecture and the consumer.
- NSHEMEREIRWE, C.V. (2014). The relationship between pre-university schooling and university grades in Uganda (Doctoral Thesis, University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands)